What is CLAT?
CLAT is a National Level Law entrance exam that helps the students to get admission into government and private law colleges in the country. A national law university is responsible to conduct the exam every year. CLAT 2020 will be conducted by National Law University Odisha (NLUO), Cuttack.
This examination is conducted once every academic year and it is conducted offline i.e. Pen and Paper Based Test -PBT (New Pattern).
- Qualification: Candidates who have cleared their 12th are eligible to appear for this LLB entrance exam.
- Admissions: CLAT 2020 scores help candidates to get admission in courses such as BA LLB (Hons), B.Com LLB (Hons), B.Sc LLB (Hons), BBA LLB (Hons), BSW LLB (Hons) and LLM programs that are offered by various National Law Universities.
- Attempts: There are no restrictions on the number of attempts for CLAT.
- Availability of Seats: About 2,700 seats are available for admission under CLAT for the LLB program while the intake for LLM courses across the national law universities is about 700 seats.
- Placement: Some public sector companies (PSUs) like ONGC, BHEL, and Power Grid Corporation of India use the CLAT score of LLM aspirants while recruiting candidates for legal posts.
- New in CLAT 2020: Due to technical glitches in the previous years, this year onwards CLAT was to be conducted offline (Pen and Paper Based Test) as per the official notification released by the CLAT Consortium of NLUs but now because of the COVID-19 situation it will be conducted in online mode again i.e. it will be a computer-based test.
- As CLAT Exam is a national level entrance test for candidates seeking admission into any of the law programs mentioned above, they CLAT Score is acceptable all over the country for most of the law programs still it is recommended students check the eligibility criteria for admission for their intended college. Students can register for the CLAT 2020 Exam from the official website which is given below in the highlights table. The score obtained by the students in the CLAT 2020 Exam will be then used for the admission process and the CLAT 2020 Counselling process. Interested candidates who want to appear for the CLAT 2020 Exam can read more about the exam below.
Want help with Admission 2020
CLAT 2020 Highlights
The candidates who clear CLAT can obtain seats in 16 National Law Universities in India. It has been reviewed as one of the toughest exams in India.
|Exam Name||Common-Law Admission Test|
|Conducting Body||National Law University Odisha (NLUO), Cuttack|
|Category||Both Undergraduate and Postgraduate|
|Mode of Exam||Offline i.e. Pen and Paper-based Test (PBT)|
|Duration||2 Hours or 120 Minutes|
+91 97415 21069, 94825 67257(Bengaluru), +91 84807 18979 (Odisha)
|CLAT Official Website||clatconsortiumofnlu.ac.in|
Note: The candidates can check other common exams accepted by law colleges to know which exam suits them. Because students have to take an entrance exam after completing 12th science to avail seats at top law colleges.
CLAT 2020 Exam Date
Candidates can register for the examination till August 15, 2020 and they should satisfy all the eligibility criteria to be allowed to appear for the examination. The authorities have announced the exam date for CLAT 2020 Exam and it is to be conducted on September 28, 2020 as centre-based online exam. Dates for other events will be released eventually.
|Important Events||Tentative Exam Dates|
|First admission notification||December 31, 2019|
|CLAT 2020 Online Application starts||January 1, 2020|
|CLAT 2020 Online Application ends||August 15, 2020|
|Availability of CLAT 2020 Admit card||Will be released soon|
|CLAT 2020 Examination Date||September 28, 2020 (New Date)|
|CLAT 2020 Result Date||October 5, 2020 [tentative]|
|CLAT 2020 Counselling||To be announced|
CLAT 2020 Eligibility
The CLAT 2020 aspirants must read the CLAT eligibility criteria and must meet all the required criteria before proceeding to fill the CLAT 2020 Application form. The CLAT 2020 eligibility is given in detail below.
The CLAT 2020 Eligibility Criteria is different for undergraduate admissions, postgraduate admissions, and NRI applicants. Usually, the CLAT 2020 Eligibility Criteria considers factors like age, nationality, and education. In case of a tie during admissions, a person with higher age, higher score in legal aptitude will be considered.
Applicants who are NRI will have different admission processes for CLAT Exam. These candidates will be given admission through the NRI quota in each university or college. NRI candidates are advised to contact the concerned educational institute directly and find out about the Eligibility criteria. NRI Candidates will have to present a valid passport, copy of visas of last 12 months as well as a certificate from the local embassy that proves the NRI status of the candidates. NRI candidates should visit the official website for more information.
Eligibility criteria for CLAT 2020 are divided into two sections, one is for undergraduates and another on are postgraduates and are given below.
Qualification Criteria for Undergraduate Students
- Candidate should be 12th pass by scoring a minimum 45% aggregate for Unreserved/OBC/Specially Abled Persons (SAP) and other categories
- Candidate should be 12th pass by scoring a minimum 40% aggregate for Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe (SC/ST) categories.
- Candidates who are appearing in the 12th examination in March/April of 2020 are also eligible to appear in CLAT 2020 entrance examination but the candidate needs to should show the evidence of them clearing the qualifying examination at the time of admission.
|Education||10+2 or equivalent|
|Age Limit||No Age Limit|
CLAT 2020 Syllabus
The CLAT 2020 Exam will have 5 sections in it. These 5 sections are English, Quantitative Techniques, Logical Reasoning, Current Affairs, and General Knowledge, Legal Reasoning. The CLAT 2020 Syllabus is mostly covered in books up to class 12, candidates can refer class 10 books for the quantitative techniques section. In the English section, candidates will be evaluated on their comprehension skills. The Quantitative Techniques section will test the mathematical skills of the candidate whereas Legal Reasoning will examine candidates in law-related topics. Logical reasoning will test the analytical skills of the candidate and the GK section will test the knowledge of candidates on current happening in the country and around the world.
CLAT 2020 Application Form
The application form for CLAT 2020 was available on the official website till August 15, 2020. The mode of filling the application form is always kept online. The candidates need to fill their valid details in the application form. Steps involved in filling the application form are- giving out candidate's personal details, qualification details, uploading of signature and photograph, and payment of the application fee.
CLAT 2020 Application Fee
The below-mentioned fee details are based as per last year's fee details.
- INR 4000 for General, OBC, PWD/SAP
- INR 3500 for SC/ST
|Registration Fee||General/OBC/PWD/NRI/PIO/OCI - INR 4000
SC/ST/BPL - INR 3500
|CLAT Previous Years Question Papers Request||INR 500 [Optional]|
|Photograph Size||20 KB to 50 KB|
|Signature Size||10 KB to 20 KB|
CLAT 2020 Registration
The CLAT 2020 Application is done online. The registration process of the CLAT 2020 Exam is divided into 4 parts which are registration, application form filling, uploading documents, and payment of the fee. Candidates who fit the eligibility criteria of the exam can go to the official website and register for the exam. The step by step procedure for applying to the CLAT 2020 Exam is given below.